Sunday, June 16, 2013

Slowly but surely

Sorry it has been awhile since my last post. The past week has been fairly busy with doctors appointments, my mom leaving, Berkley visiting, etc.  That and I didn't feel much like it.

I had my post op appt with my plastic surgeon last week and as usual it was an entertaining appt. My plastic surgeon, Dr. Cacciopo, is amazing. Women travel from all over the country to have him do their breast reconstruction. He is considered a leader in doing the DIEP flap reconstruction that I had. Dr. Cacciopo isn't exactly a man of many words and a little socially awkward so I'm always entertained when I see him.  I do want to point out that he is an amazingly skilled surgeon who is also very kind and will answer a zillion questions. So at my appt last week, it's the usual get half naked and wait for the doc. When he comes in, he asks about pain control, drain output, etc. and then he asks if he can take a look. To me that was just hilarious and I started giggling. I mean really? You spent 12 hours in surgery and this is a post op appt, of course you can see them. His reaction was even better!  He said "wow, they look great! Yours may be my best ones yet!"  I mean, come on, what girl doesn't want to hear that!  So, it seems my frankenboobies are healing well.  As the surgical glue falls off more and more, I can see that the scarring isn't nearly as bad as I thought and personally, I also think they look great.

As for the drain, I still have the one in my right hip and it will remain until the output decreases.  I'm definitely not happy with it but I know it's helping so fine, I'll deal with it AND whine about it occasionally.  This drain is especially frustrating because while it goes in my right hip, it runs all the way across my lower abdomen. It really impacts my ability to bend, twist, etc. ok, whining over.

Dr. Cacciopo also cleared me to start reaching a bit more. I'm allowed to wash and do my own hair.  It definitely hurts but it's progress and a little independence so that's exciting!  The downside to doing more is the muscle spasms that come along with increased use.  This is where the Valium comes into play. When I was given a prescription for 40 pills and a refill I thought it was crazy excessive. Now that I've really gotten some pretty awful chest muscle spasms, I get it!  

Other than the drain and muscle spasms, I'm doing much better than I anticipated at this point!  I've been able to go to the grocery store and zoo - yay for wheelchairs! It was so nice to get out of the house.  Mentally, I have the occasional "holy crap what the hell did I do to myself" moment but then my little boy walks in and I remember that a few scars and some temporary pain is no big deal....breast cancer won't steal me from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment