Thursday, June 27, 2013

My thoughts

Very recently, Melissa Etheridge, a breast cancer survivor herself, made some rather interesting comments about Angelina Jolie's recent announcement.  Below is a link and MY thoughts.


Melissa Etheridge is correct. Angelina Jolie, myself and thousands of other women are fearful. We, the carriers of the mutant BRCA gene are afraid of cancer - well at least I know I am.  I watched my mother as well as my paternal aunts and grandmother battle cancer. When I was 26, I watched my aunt Karen finally succumb to the cancer she bravely fought for years. Damn straight I'm afraid of cancer.

To say that MY choice to have a prophylactic double mastectomy was a fearful choice is ignorant. I was ridiculously over-educated about my options. I've said it before but my reality was always a when, not if I get breast cancer.  I met with numerous doctors and a genetic counselor prior to making my decision.  I did my own research. I prayed often. I called my aunt Sheryl and spent a long time chatting with her about it - thanks again for that Sheryl! 

Melissa Etheridge is wrong though, My decision wasn't one made out of fear.  My decision was one of peace. My decision was one of strength. My decision was made as a wife, a mother, a daughter, and a friend. My decision was an educated one - based upon my family history, my personal risk factors, and recommendations from my doctors. My decision was to be proactive - to ensure that breast cancer didn't make decisions for me.  I wasn't willing to take a 90% chance that I'd put Jay and Alex through chemo or worse.  My decision was to take control of my breast health. My decision was to have - what I believe to be an inevitable surgery - on my schedule, on my terms.

I made a choice - a pro active choice about my breast health. I'm no longer afraid of breast cancer. I went from a nearly 90% risk to less than 1%.  I will never again cry myself to sleep worrying about the results of my most recent mammogram. I will never again lose sleep when they call me back in for a follow up because they found a suspicious spot.  

So, Melissa Etheridge may say I made a decision out of fear. I say my decision has made me fearless.

3 comments:

  1. You go Girl!!! Poo to Melissa Etheridge. You did what was right for you and your family. SO IT WAS THE RIGHT DECISION!!!!! Never! Ever!! Let anyone make you feel bad for your decision. Peace is the way to go. You are a stronger woman then Melissa Etheridge!!! I am proud to know you!

    Deanna McCracken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie - I have just spent my evening reading your ENTIRE blog. I've recently learned that I'm positive for BRCA1. And I have been searching for information that was real, that I related to and you my dear have been that. I don't know what to tell people or how to explain my choice. I am overwhelmed at the blessing of knowing this now and then I'm pissed at the fact I have to do this. But THANK YOU for writing your blog...you don't know how much this has helped. Admittedly I am afraid, but I know what I'm doing is right. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I'm really glad that my blog served a purpose for you. It was truly an outlet for me. If you ever have questions or need to chat about it all, feel free to email me! sprtzchik9@gmail.com

      Delete