Friday, June 7, 2013

2 weeks

Surgery was 2 weeks ago. I certainly have my ups and downs but overall, I'm pleased with my progress!

I can do the important things like brushing my own teeth, using the bathroom by myself, and going up and down the stairs.  I still can't do my own hair (a pony-tail from Jay Perez is interesting), I still need help showering and I can't lift my arms above my head (that'll be awhile). 

Had a follow up appt with my breast surgeon yesterday. She ogled my frankenboobies like a high school boy. She really liked how they are shaping up. The left one is really doing great, not much swelling or bruising left. The right one had a bit of skin breakdown but they expect it to heal up well with time. It also has a bit if swelling and bruising still.  My abdomen is also healing really well!  The 16 inch scar is right at the panty line and is already fading well.  The new belly button is also quite nifty. 

I see my plastic surgeon on Tuesday and he will give me a better idea on follow up appts and a possible revision surgery.  Apparently I had quite a bit of swelling towards the end of the surgery so they left some extra skin to accommodate. But, I will know more on Tuesday. 

Otherwise, I'm doing well. Pain is fairly well under control. I've been working on cutting back on the Vicodin. When I left the hospital, I was taking 2 every 4 hours. I'm slowly working myself down. 

I have my moments where I feel bad for myself, mostly guilty for how much of my slack Jay is having to pick up for me. Jay doesn't let me wallow for long.  I certainly get frustrated at times but overall, spirits are good and I'm getting better every day!

Thanks again for the well wishes and especially to those who have prepared and/or sent meals. They have certainly made life a bit easier!

1 comment:

  1. I understand on how the frustration can be when you feel guilty for your spouse picking up the slack. I went through that for over 5 years. Keep your chin up and know that you have a great husband who loves you, for better for worse and in sickness and health! I am happy for you and rejoice in the man you have for a husband, who is going the extra mile for your recovery.
    Love Uncle Kevin, Aunt Julie, Joe and Jen

    ReplyDelete