Saturday, June 22, 2013

4 weeks post-op

I'm officially 4 weeks post-op! At this point, I'm able to do so much more than I imagined. I can dress myself, do my own hair and shower by myself. I can get Alex dressed - if he cooperates.  I can go up and down the stairs without having to take a break at the landing.  I still cannot pick up Alex yet, or drive, walk Ollie, or grocery shop without assistance. I really miss wrestling with Alex and date night with the handsome husband.  Side note: as soon as this drain gets pulled, I have every intention of taking you people up on all your babysitting offers so that Jay and I can go on a date!  Have I impressed you with the list of what I can do??? I'm getting better and stronger every day!

I still have in my abdominal drain. I hate it more than ever.  I called and pretty much begged to have it taken out on Thursday but the nurse told me what could happen if it comes out too soon. It's gross. Ok, fine, I can deal with it.   

Some people have asked about the drains. I have JP drains. Basically, i have a tube coming out of my hip that leads to a little grenade shaped bulb.   The grenade is what creates the suction, drawing the extra fluid out. The vain part of me hates going out in public with the drain. I try to hide it by pinning the grenade portion to the inside of my shirt but it really uncomfortable, especially with it being so warm. So now I clip it to my pants and hope my shirt covers it.   I originally had 4, then 2, and now this 1.  Jay strips the drain nightly (to ensure there are no clots) and then measures the output. The body can absorb 30 ml a day naturally so the doc will pull the drain when I'm below that mark for 3 days. I can't wait!

The meal train is officially over on Monday. I'm so incredibly thankful to everyone who prepared dinners for us. Also, a very special thank you to Hannah. Hannah started the meal train and also had all the meals delivered to her home (so I wouldn't feel obligated to get up and make conversation, especially when I could barely get out of my chair, let alone come downstairs). Every night, she delivered meals to us on her way to a soccer game or other event. Hannah, thank you so much, I owe you big time!

So now I need to get back to cooking for my boys. I'm excited because I love cooking but a little nervous. I will need to be smart about it and have Jay or the babysitter set out the cookware because I either am not allowed to reach that high or bend that low. Mostly, I just need to plan and remember that a frozen pizza is just fine once in a while.

Mentally, I'm doing well. I'd be lying if I said its all sunshine and roses. I have my moments. This whole experience is hard, very humbling, and a little traumatic. I've had to give up a lot of control, which for me, may have been more difficult than the pain. Overall, I'm really pleased with how far I've come in 4 weeks!






No comments:

Post a Comment